Responsible pet adoption is a very important process that you need to know before you decide to have a new pet in your home. That’s why we want to tell you everything you need to know about it here in this article.
Why Responsible Adoption?
The difference between an adoption and a responsible adoption is the awareness you have of what you are about to do. Many times we want to have a pet in our home, but we don’t stop to think about all that it entails. We get carried away by the desire and this ends up, most of the time, in problems for the little animal and for us.
The first thing to know is that an animal, whether it is a dog, cat or other animal, is not an object or a toy. Nor is it a gift to give to a young child who, again, is not aware of the care it requires.
For an adoption to be responsible, you must know that this furry companion is a living being who will totally need you for the rest of his life. You should also know that if we choose a young animal, it will grow and its needs and character will change over the years.
Adopting a pet involves adaptation on both sides. It will learn from you, and you will learn from it, and what you are really giving it is the opportunity and the promise that it will have a life with lots of love and attention.
How Do You Know Which Pet Is Best for You?
Now that we have a better understanding of what responsible adoption entails, let’s talk about how to find the perfect pet for you. We’ll limit ourselves to talking about dogs and cats, as these are the most sought-after animals and also the ones that most need a loving person or family.
In order to make the right choice, you will need to do some research. The most important details to consider are the following:
– Cat or dog: Normally, we choose what we like best, but we must consider the character of each. Cats are generally more independent than dogs, but also more delicate. While dogs will need more attention.
– Size: The size of our pet is another very important factor. If our house has little space, it is better to have a small or medium size pet.
– Type of hair: We must take into account the type of hair of the animal we choose, because some need more care than others. Long-haired animals need more attention and also shed more hair.
– Age: the age of our future pet is one of the most important aspects when choosing it. In general, we opt for the youngest ones, but it is important to know that they require more attention, care and training than older ones.
An adult animal adapts well to your rhythm of life and requires less attention than the youngest. On the other hand, an older pet is usually very calm and sedentary, so it is an excellent option if you need to have time for other activities.
– Budget: Having a new pet in your home means having a family member to care for. You’ll need daily food, vaccinations, hygiene products, vet visits and medication in case of illness.
– Time: In addition to physical care, your pet will need time with you. He will need to get to know you and begin to trust you as a new family, and spending long periods of time alone is not recommended. He must begin to trust you and this may take some time, but with patience and love, it will come.
– Lifestyle: If you’re a very active person, it’s best to choose a pet that can adapt to that level of activity and enjoy it together. On the other hand, if you spend a lot of time at home, a quieter pet that requires less outdoor activity is preferable.
– Other pets: If you already have other pets at home, you need to make sure they fit in well with the new member. It’s best if the new member is about the same age as your current pet, otherwise they won’t get along as well.
Nevertheless, you should monitor their coexistence at all times, especially in the beginning. Even if we want to adopt another pet, it doesn’t make sense if we put our current companion through a difficult time.
There you are! Those were the steps to follow to adopt responsibly. From here, the most important thing will be to follow the advice given by the veterinarian and make him feel that your house is really his new home, and that you are his family. In time, he will return all that love and even more. Do you feel that we’ve missed any useful tips? Share them in the comments below!